Identity Theft Button on a Touch Screen Cardoza Law CorporationWhen you were contacted about an unfamiliar debt or noticed something unusual on your credit report, you probably jumped into action, notifying creditors and canceling credit cards. Good for you! A swift response is the best way to curb the damage an identity thief can cause. To make sure you’ve covered all your bases, take a look at our to-do list, including a few steps not many people think to take.

Do These Things Right Away If Your Identity Has Been Stolen

I’ve already covered the basics on my website, but to quickly review: you should notify the affected bank or creditor, file a police report, and place a fraud alert—and possibly a freeze—on your credit reports. In addition to these important steps, you may want to go the extra mile by doing the following:

Change all account passwords.

Victims of ID theft often have no idea how their information was accessed. It’s a good idea to change the passwords to any account that stores important personal information like credit card numbers, bank account numbers, your Social Security number, and other data. Don’t forget about apps like Venmo, Google Pay, and Apple Pay.

Report a stolen Social Security number.

If there’s any chance at all that your Social Security number (SSN) was stolen, you’ll have to contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). If someone submitted a tax return using your SSN, you should contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by calling 800-829-1040.

Get a new driver’s license.

If you suspect someone is using your driver’s license number on a fake ID, you’ll have to get a new one at your local DMV.

Contact telephone and utility companies.

If a thief has gotten ahold of one of your phone or utility bills, they might try to open an account in your name at a new address. They might also use a bill as proof of residence to open another account, so it’s important that the provider is notified of the theft.

Contact My Consumer Law Office to Learn More

If you have suffered losses due to identity theft, tell me about your case. I will send you information about how to get false information removed from your reports and, if we can file suit against an agency for damages, we will. Contact me online or call my office directly at 855.982.2400 and let me know what happened to you today.


Michael F. Cardoza, Esq.
Connect with me
U.S. Marine & Consumer Financial Protection Attorney helping victims of ID theft and Credit Reporting errors.
Join The Conversation
Post A Comment