Credit Report Lawyer Working on False Information on a Report Cardoza Law CorporationYou discovered false information on your credit report, but you didn’t panic. Instead, you followed the steps recommended by the FTC. You wrote a dispute letter, sent relevant documents, and waited for them to take the false information off your report. But the credit bureau has rejected your dispute and verified that the information is accurate. What do you do now? You have a couple of options.

False Information Commonly Found on Credit Reports

It’s important that the information on your credit report is accurate for a number of reasons. Any misinformation on your report could cause problems when you apply for a loan, try to rent an apartment, or even when you are applying for a job. Regularly checking your credit reports with the three credit bureaus—Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion—is the only way you’ll catch these errors before they cause problems for you. Examples of common credit report errors include:

  • Wrong middle name or initial
  • An address you’ve never lived at
  • Accounts listed as yours that belong to someone else
  • Closed accounts listed as still active
  • Incorrect date of last payment on a loan or credit card
  • Inaccurate reports of delinquency

There are more, but this gives you an idea. Some of these may seem minor now but could lead to bigger problems, like mixed-up credit files and someone else’s bankruptcy on your report.

What to Do If Your Dispute Is Denied

When you receive notice that the credit bureau has verified the information you know to be false as correct, you could try writing another dispute letter. If you have new or additional evidence to back it up, your second attempt may be successful. However, before you send a second letter, you might want to contact a Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) attorney to discuss your situation. I have seen far too many people go round and round with credit bureaus when I could have helped them put a stop to it right away.

What's more, it may not just be the credit bureau that has the error. A credit issuer, debt collector, or background check company may also be reporting this inaccurate information about you. I know which companies to check out and can save you a lot of time and grief. Best of all, my help won’t cost you a dime. If the credit bureau or a credit issuer fails to uphold your rights under FCRA, you may be owed financial damages. If this is the case, I will file suit and, if we are successful, only then will I get paid.

You Have Nothing to Lose

Sound too good to be true? Maybe. But you truly have nothing to lose by reaching out to me today. We can take care of everything over the phone, and I will guide you in the right direction. Don’t get sucked into a back-and-forth battle with a credit bureau. Contact me online or call my office directly at 855.982.2400 to put a stop to it now.


Michael F. Cardoza, Esq.
Connect with me
U.S. Marine & Consumer Financial Protection Attorney helping victims of ID theft and Credit Reporting errors.